Saturday, February 4, 2012

Baby Steps

Cue the dramatic music.  Fat guy approaches the scale <dum-dum, dum>, camera flashes to the guy, then the scale, then the guy, then the scale <dum-dum, dum>, narrator says in a dramatic voice "Your total weight loss for the week is" <dum-dum, dum>, fat guy steps on the scale <add dramatic beeping sound>, camera pans to show the results:


If you're a fan of The Biggest Loser, you'll recognize this as a jab at the show.  It cracks me up how they can, with a little bit of music, turn stepping onto a scale into a dramatic event.  Really?  What's the big deal, step on the scale, get your number, done.

So why is it that when I weighed myself this morning, I was mentally playing that music?  And why was I simultaneous disappointed and pleased with the results?  At first, I was disappointed that after all of the temptations that I avoided this week, and the miles walked, I only lost 1 pound.  Son-of-a...

Then I did some reading.  A safe rate of weight loss is considered to be around 1% per week.  That means I should be working towards a loss of 1.8 pounds per week.  My weigh-in this morning shows a loss of 1.1 pounds, close enough for me.

Baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment